||Office of Development||
||commensurate with experience||
||Team Leader/Consultant A|
Work Hours per Week:
|Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President of Development, and in concert with Athletic Director, the Director of Development, Athletics and Recreation will build and manage a comprehensive major gifts program for the Department of Athletics and Recreation. The Director will be responsible for solicitation of major gifts through cultivation and stewardship and will build a trusted pipe line through strategy. The Director will play an integral role in the University Programs Team.
|A Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience in development, showing progressive responsibilities, and with demonstrated success in closing major gifts of $100,000 and above from individuals, corporations, or foundations
- Experience working with volunteers - either on boards, committees, or in completion of assigned responsibilities
- Experience conceptualizing and managing events of up to 100 people
- Experience working with mid- to high-level organization administrators
- Excellent oral and written communication skills demonstrated by clear, concise, and persuasive writing, public speaking, including MS Power point presentations, and private discourse
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated experience successfully working with persons from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent analytical, research and time management skills.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
- High-level proficiency with MS Office programs including MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power point
- Experience with fundraising databases a plus
|This position requires travel 30% of time, and evening and weekend work. Candidate must have valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation. |
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
At AU we offer a competitive benefits package including a 2:1 matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, robust professional development opportunities and a variety of flex work programs. AU has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite. For more information regarding our benefits and life at AU please visit http://www.american.edu/hr/ProspEmployee.cfm and
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.