||Commensurate with Experience||
Work Hours per Week:
|The Online Writer is assigned articles as well as regularly pitches, researches, writes and edits extensive content for american.edu on a daily basis and often on quick turnaround. This communications position participates in editorial planning meetings, assigns photography, video and illustrations, integrates links, photos and video, and writes headlines, abstracts, captions, and other content for the online medium in a manner that is search engine optimized and compelling for the university’s target audiences. This position requires a self-starter who displays creativity, attention to detail, and the ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines as well as work collaboratively with departments. |
The position reports to the Managing Editor, Online Content. The purpose of this role is to support the university’s communication strategy, drive traffic to the web site and engage audiences with the university’s news and in exploring the university’s web site.
|A Bachelor's degree is required.
|- 4 years of professional news and communications writing experience, including at least 3 years of experience writing for online audiences|
- Strong copyediting and proofing skills
- Proven teamwork, collaboration, and communication skills with internal teams and campus clients
- Professional judgment, comfortable in an academic environment, excellent news judgment
- Ability to write compelling and accurate content in a variety of styles for diverse audiences
- Mastery of web publishing tools and common office computer software programs
- Demonstrated experience in learning new technology tools for online news, keeping current with best practices in online writing, and writing to generate and increase web traffic
- Familiarity with and interest in social media
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, coordinating with various colleagues, and meeting deadlines and high editorial standards
- Ability to work well, flexibly and productively in an environment where opportunities and priorities are changing and being updated, and have the temperament to enjoy the process
- A proactive, client relations focus and attitude
- Accountability and reporting back about work and progress
- Familiarity with and appreciation for the attributes, opportunities and challenges of higher education
|Photo and video content gathering and editing skills (iMovie, Final Cut Pro, etc.) is a plus.
|The position requires overtime and weekend work to meet deadlines and departmental goals. |
This position requires superior reporting and writing skills, self-direction, attention to detail, and the ability to juggle competing priorities. Must possess diplomacy skills concerning sensitive issues, strong interviewing and internet research skills, and mastery of search engine optimization.
This position requires the successful completion of a pre-employment background check.